This is the 64-hour lab component of the 184-hour course. This portion will be delivered in a traditional setting with a live instructor, either individually or in small groups. This class will provide instruction, training, and evaluation in all hands-on skills in emergency medical care that an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is permitted to provide throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This course will follow the current National Education Standard for the Emergency Medical Technician.
To successfully complete the EMT course students must:
- Maintain a 70% or higher cumulative grade in the online portion.
- Obtain the required clearances as required by the PA Child Protective Services Law (CPSL).
- Provide a current medical physical screening, vaccination history, and drug screening.
- Obtain the required NIMS on-line education in ICS 100, 200, 700, and 800.
- Complete an approved Hazmat Awareness program.
- Complete an 8-hour EMS shift and an 8-hour ER shift to obtain a minimum of 10 clinical patient contacts at an approved facility/ service
- Create a profile in the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
- Upon successfully meeting the completion criteria, the student will be eligible to take the psychomotor and cognitive examinations as offered through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Successful completion of the exams are not guaranteed.
- Students must be 18 years of age
- Active participation in the online component is required to be eligible for the lab.
- Attendance at all lab sessions is mandatory.
- If an absence occurs, students must plan to make up the lab session(s).
- Alternative lab dates will be available in accordance with the class schedule and are an additional fee at the student’s expense.
- Instructor to student ratio will be 1:6 for all lab sessions.
- Complete all practical lab sessions/skills with satisfactory performance.
- Prehospital Emergency Care – Eleventh Edition, Mistovich, Karen, Pearson Publishing
Co-requisities: Students must be currently registered in EMT Hybrid - Online course.