Course Title: NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
This is a National Rifle Association (NRA) course that will allow the student to learn the overall concepts of firearm safety and how they apply to pistol shooting .The qualification portion will be conducted at the BC3 Litman Range facility. Students will supervised in all portions of this course by the instructors and range staff to practically apply the skills and concepts in safe and controlled conditions. Students must be 21 years of age to participate.
This 16-hour course will be taught from 8:30 AM -4:30 PM at the Science and Technology building, Room T106 on Day 1 and at the BC3 Litman Range Facility on Day 2.
- No equipment is necessary. Students are not permitted to bring firearms or ammunition to this session.
Litman Range Session:
- Students must supply a pistol, holster or case for their firearm. Permitted firearms include:
- Single or double action revolver OR Single or double action semi-automatic pistol ranging from .22 to .45 ACP*
- 100 rounds of factory loaded, FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) or Factory jacketed hollow point ammunition*
- hearing protection
- eye protection
- cleaning kit for firearm
- Students must be properly dressed for live fire activities. Approved range attire includes:
- Torso must be covered; long sleeves are highly recommended for arm protection.
- Long pants required.
- Footwear must fully cover the entire foot and ankle, and provide traction.
- Shorts, skirts, mesh shirts, sandals, and other clothing that does not adequately cover the body is prohibited. Students who do not have proper attire will not be able to participate in live fire activities.
*All ammunition has to be first run factory ammunition and all firearms and ammunition have to be inspected and checked in with the BC3 Campus Police.
Students must demonstrate the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for the safe and proficient use of a pistol, and pass the qualification shooting standard at a Level 1: Red (minimum to earn a completion certificate).
- Level 1: Red is four five round shot groups within a four inch circle at 10 feet.
- Level 2: White is four five shot groups with in a four inch circle at 15 feet.
- Level 3:Blue is four five shot groups with in a four inch circle art 20 feet.
- Student is under the age of 21.
- Firearm and range safety review
- Loading, cocking, de-cocking, unloading, and pistol maintenance
- Shooting positions and shooting qualifications
Please note: You are required to register on the NRA website prior to the date of class. The website is below:
- Review the three NRA rules of safe firearm handling.
- State range rules
- Identify range commands
- Determine your dominant eye
- Assume proper two handed grip
- Demonstrate the five fundamentals of pistol shooting: aiming, breath control, hold control, trigger control, and follow through.
- Load, cock, de-cock and unload a single action revolver
- Load, cock, de-cock and unload a double action revolver
- Load, cock, de-cock and unload a semi-automatic pistol
- Demonstrate the five learning steps to shoot from the benchrest position
- Demonstrate the five learning steps to shoot from the isosceles position
- Shoot the course qualification